In 1954, Etobicoke Township became a part of the newly-formed regional government, the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto ("Metro").
In the 1950s Toronto built a subway system to speed commuters into the downtown and across the city. The Bloor-Danforth line services Etobicoke with several stops.
In the 1960s, the Malton Airport (now Toronto Pearson International Airport) to the northwest of Etobicoke was expanded with extra runways and terminals to handle the growing volume of international jet traffic. in the north, Highway 401 was built with 16 lanes of traffic to speed cross-town automobile traffic, connecting to Windsor-Detroit in the west and Montreal to the east>Shortly thereafter, Highway 27 was expended to the multi-lane Highway 427, which connected the QEW/Gardiner Expressway with the 401 and with Pearson Airport.
Etobicoke was incorporated as a city in 1984. In 1998, the Ontario government merged six Toronto municipalities (including Etobicoke) to form the amalgamated city of Toronto.
More history of Etobicoke