Etobicoke Ontario's Competitive Sports scene
North York has some great opportunities to watch somebody ELSE sweat it out, with some top-level competitive athletes.
- North York Rangers Hockey Team (schedule) play at North York Centennial Arena (580 Finch Ave. W.), Toronto->North York 416-224-5115
- Villanova Knights Junior A Hockey Team (schedule) play at Canlan Ice Sports - York (989 Murray Ross Pkwy, North York) 905-833-1909
Horse Racing you can catch horse racing nearby at:
- Woodbine Raceway (Woodbine Entertainment, formerly The Ontario Jockey Club)
555 Rexdale Blvd., Rexdale, ON
(416) 675-6110, Fax: (416) 213-2129 Woodbine Racetrack offers both Standardbred and Thoroughbred racing and hosts many prominent events throughout the year. It is the only racetrack in North America that can offer both standardbred and thoroughbred racing on the same day. The original Woodbine opened in 1874 on the then-far eastern outskirts of Toronto, which is now virtually downtown. The new facility, northeast of Pearson Airport, has a 7/8 mile harness racing rack, an 1 mile dirt track, and a 1.5 mile turf course. Woodbine has hosted the Queen's Plate, with $1 million in prizes, since 1860, and also runs a number of top prize races each year. In addition to horse racing at the track, there are 1,700 slot machines operated by Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation on a 56,000 square foot slot floor.
- The Greenwood Teletheatre
1661 Queen Street East
(416) - 698 - 3136
Located on the grounds of the original Woodbine Racetrack, has theatre-type seating for more than 1,000 people and capacity for 2,500. It has 350 television screens, a food stand for light meals and snacks, a licenced area featuring foosball and pool tables, Mutuel tellers for off-track betting and 2 ATMs. Free admission. TTC: take the 37A Islington from Islington Subway station (Bloor line) to Woodbine & Humberwood via Rexdale Blvd. Mississauga Transit has bus service from Westwood Mall to Woodbine.
- Georgian Downs Limited
7485 - 5th Side Road, Innisfil,
(705) 726-9400 Fax: (705) 726-8364 Toll-Free: 1-866-915-9400
Live harness racing every Tuesday and Saturday night year -round. Post time 7:35pm. Try your luck at the Slots at Georgian Downs with over 400 slot games. Free shuttle service from select locations. Georgian Racetrack Slots are open for your fun and entertainment 365 days of the year from 9am to 3 am.
Car Races You can catch (or participate in) car racing nearby at:
- Sunset Speedway
6918 Yonge Street, Innisfil,
(705) 436-2445 Fax: (705) 727-4832
Sunset Speedway boasts some of the fastest, most competitive racing in Ontario (with speeds up to 150 kilometres per hour), with 13 degrees of banking in the corners and ultra wide straightaways, for exciting side by side racing in all 3 classes run weekly: Limited Late Models, Thunder Cars and 4 Cylinders. Additional special shows are scheduled throughout the year, including OSCAAR Super Late Models, ALSTAR Super Series Late Models, TQ Can Am Midgets, Hurricane Midgets, Pro Cup Challenge and Vintage Modifieds.
- NASCAR Speed Park
Vaughan Mills Mall, Space E-2 1 Bass Pro Mills Drive, Vaughan, L4K 5W4
Drive NASCAR Silicon Motor Speedway simulators, the Speed Dome Arcade, Laser Tag arena, children's indoor playground and Thunder Alley Slot Car Racing. here's also a NASCAR shop and Pit Stop Grille.