Etobicoke Tourist and Visitor Tips
Etobicoke is nestled between Toronto's Pearson International Airport to the west, and the rest of Toronto to the east. Attractions tend to be focused in the north end, close to the airport, in the middle along Bloor Street, the community's historical heart, and along the lakefront communities of Mimico and Long Branch.
Here are our picks for the must-see attractions close to the airport:
- Woodbine Race track, on Rexdale Blvd is the country's top thorougbred and harness racing track, or if you have kids, the Fantasy Fair in the Woodbine Centre across the street
- nearby are Humber College's North Campus, which is a good place to park to visit the Humber Arboreteum
- The International Centre just north of Pearson Airport is home to many interesting trade shows
- A bit further north (and west of the 427) is the Wild Water Kingdom Water Park, technically in Brampton.
- East of Highway 400 (and technically in North York) is the Black Creek Pioneer Village, the metro area's best showcase of mid-1800 structures and pioneer living.
Here are our recommendations for attractions close to Bloor Street.
- Montgomery Inn, around since the early 1800s is a historical sight & museum (at Dundas & Islington)
- there is the Islington shopping districts, along Dundas south toward the Kipling subway station, and the Kingsway shopping district, stretching east along Bloor toward the Humber River
- West of the 427 is Centennial Park, which has a ski hill, a golf course, an arboreteum, a mini-race car track and more.
Here are our recommendations for attractions close to the Lakeshore
- Humber Bay Park, with reclaimed parkland along both sides of the mouth of the Humber River, has recreational pathways, scenic lookouts and a couple of yacht clubs
- There are several shopping districts, along Lakeshore Boulevard West including Mimico Village, Lakeshore Village and Long Branch , with lots of quaint shops, services and restaurants. The drinking spots in the area tend to be clustered close to Royal York Rd in Mimico
- At Lakeshore & Kipling is Colonel Samuel Smith Park, with a yacht club, and adjacent to the Lakeshore campus of Humber College, and the historical Assembly Hall.
- North of the Gardiner Expressway /QEW is The Queensway a "Big Box" shopping district with specialty shopping an bargains galore.