Early settlers of Etobicoke included many of the Queen's Rangers, who were granted land to help protect the new capital of Upper Canada. One of the first grants in 1795, was to Samuel Bois Smith, a captain in the Queen's Rangers, received a grant of 1530 acres, from Kipling Avenue to Etobicoke Creek, extending north to Bloor Street. By 1805, 84 people lived in Etobicoke, and in 1806 a grist and lumber mills was built on the Humber River, just south of Dundas Street, and in 1816 the Dundas Street Bridge was built. In the early 1840s, Montgomery's Inn (shown right) was built as a stop on the colonial coach road between Toronto and Hamilton.
In 1846 the Albion Road Company was incorporated to develop a road to the north-west corner of Etobicoke to a new community they had planned. The same year another settlement was planned for the Islington Avenue and Albion Road area. The township of Etobicoke was incorporated in 1850, when it had a population just shy of 3,000.
More history of Etobicoke